June 14, 2013

Growing Up With Daddy-isms

With Father’s Day this Sunday, I can’t help but reflect upon the sweet memories of my dad. OH! MY! GOODNESS! He was such a hoot.  Always cracking a joke or poking fun.  His simple pleasure in life was to make someone laugh and people were just drawn to him.  Everyone wanted to hang out with Allen.

Living in a household full of estrogen, bless his heart, he didn't have a chance.  Even though he denied ever wanting sons, he sometimes had me doing ‘guy’ things with him.  Hunting, fishing, hammering, sawing, painting, wallpapering, electrical and plumbing chores and even car repairs.  I am so grateful because, except for the hunting, I've used all of those skills in my adult life.  (Killing animals to take home to eat definitely was not my thing.)

Best of all, he could give a lecture, teach a lesson or express a feeling with one sentence.  Even though I didn't appreciate his ‘daddy-isms’ at the time, I now see them as wonderful words of truth, advice, feelings and even some uncanny predictions.

So, in memory of the first man I ever loved…here’s to you, Daddy!


“The only thing you get when you cry is a wet face.” 

“Act like something!”

“In a hundred years you won’t even remember this.” 

“You won’t be going on a date with any boy that doesn’t walk to the door to get you.”

“You are not allowed to _____fill in the blank_____________ until you are FORTY.”     (say cuss words, go on a date, ride a motorcycle, leave home, get married, and many other things)

“Someday, New Orleans will be under water.” 

“If I wasn't married to your mother, I’d marry YOU!”

“To catch the big fish, you have to spit on the worm.” 

“Someday, you will talk on a telephone walking around in the grocery store.”

“I can fix anything but a broken heart.”

“You don’t want me to have to show you who’s boss.”

“One day you will laugh about this.”

Wishing all you wonderful Daddy's out there a great Father's Day!

Cheers!

Lynn


1 comment:

Jason Estes said...

"Papaw-isms" for me!