July 23, 2013

Happy Birthday to an OLD Friend

Last week was my friend Alison’s 60th birthday.  I can’t believe she is so OLD!  When I called her she admitted she was having a very tough time with this birthday.  I tried to comfort her and put a positive spin on it to make her feel better but it’s still hard to believe I have a friend this OLD.

Alison and I met when I moved to Chattanooga.  She lived just around the corner from me.  In a neighborhood of older families, we were thrilled to find each other and we had a lot in common.  We were both new to town, both stay-at-home moms with 1 year old sons.  We both played bridge, liked to shop, decorate and socialize.  It was an election year and we were definitely on the same page politically. We both loved Ronald Reagan!   We were both early risers and would talk on the phone every single morning.  We could barely see each other’s house through the trees but as soon as one of us saw a light come on at the other’s house we would be on the phone before the boys woke up.   I really don’t remember what all we would have to chat about each morning but we would plan time together with the boys  or one of us helping the other out as babysitter.  About a year later she had a daughter and a year after that, I had another son.  We could make all those car seats & strollers fit in a car one way or another!


 It broke my heart when her husband was transferred and they had to move away.  We vowed to stay in touch and we have done just that.  Even during that ancient time of only telephones on the wall and postage stamps.  We've visited whenever possible and we've talked and listened through raising our kids (she had another son a few years later), starting our post mommy careers, marriage issues, business dilemmas, losing our parents and of course politics.  I would never use the word 'vain' to describe either of us, but over the years we have talked a lot about weight loss and combating those ridiculous signs of aging.

I’m so glad Alison and I have remained good friends all these years.  In today’s busy world, local friendships are difficult enough to keep up with much less having hundreds of miles between you.   I’m so grateful for my dearest OLDER friend for more than half our lives.  Even though she’s on the Back 9, I’m looking forward to many more visits, calls, cards along with emails, text messages and Facebook pictures.

Cheers and Happy 60th, Alison!!
Lynn





P.S.  In the spirit of full disclosure, Alison is only a few months older than me.  (I’m not dealing very well with my next birthday either!)

No comments: