August 15, 2013

SERIOUSLY???

It’s really crazy how social media consumes so much of our time these days.  On one hand I love that I've reconnected with long lost friends.  (Yes, I had to look some of you up in the yearbook to jog my memory).  I love that I can keep up with those I care about and am interested in via snippets and photos.  I like getting news from my favorite news sources.    On the other hand, on a daily basis I encounter at least one post that makes me do the famous Lynn Eye Roll and say ‘Seriously??’

Do you follow any Whiners?  The ‘friends’ who provide a daily post complaining about something.  The kids, the job, the spouse, the traffic, the backache, etc.  Seriously??   I say, Give it a break!  In the big scheme of things, your issues are minor compared to most.   The strangest complaint is “I can’t sleep”.  Seriously??  Don’t you just want to say, “get off the #$%@ computer and try!”?

What about TMIers?   Did they really need to post about their bouts of diarrhea or the details of their most recent medical procedure or their side of a relationship break-up?  Seriously??   Definitely Too Much Information!

On the other side of that coin, are the ambiguous posts.  “Pray for me”,   “Just got good news”,   “What a jerk!”,  “I’m thrilled”,  “I think I’m going to cry”.   Seriously??   Who? What? Why? Give me details! (Just not too many!)

How about the “Hand on the Hip” pose?  It used to be a common pose by the younger set.  Same pose, different outfit.  Now, even we older gals have perfected the HOH pose.  It temporarily enhances the disappearing waistline, hides the bat wings and gives the illusion of a few pounds lighter.  Seriously??

Political Passion.  Wow!  Talk about mean spirited! Both sides!  Seriously??  

I have several friends who, unfortunately, have passed away.  Their pages are still active which is fine although it’s kind of weird to me that people still post messages to them. Seriously??  Do you really think they are checking Facebook these days?   Recently, I saw in my news feed that one of these dear friends ‘Likes’ Walmart and I was invited to ‘Like’ Walmart, too.  I know for a fact he didn’t like Walmart when he was alive so why, now that he’s gone, is Facebook telling me that he does and I should also. Seriously??

All in all, Facebook and other social media is informational and quite entertaining. It normally provides my first chuckle of the day.  I like the birthday reminders.  I've never wished most of you a happy birthday before but now I do!   I’m grateful for all the friends, acquaintances and businesses I follow.  I like getting your news.  So, beginning today I’m going to do less eye-rolling and be more compassionate and understanding.  I’m just going to un-check a bunch of people from showing up in my news feed. SERIOUSLY!!

Cheers!
Lynn




No comments: